A librarian is a person who has received training in the field of information
science. A librarian assists persons in need of informational articles and
services while also administering and arranging those materials, whether at a
school, a neighbourhood library, or even for the government.
Librarians are in charge of a tremendous amount of material, ranging from the
traditional management of books and periodicals to more current tasks such as
audio and video recordings and digital resources.
“I see library and librarians as frontline soldiers in the war against illiteracy and
lack of imagination.”
Table of Contents
Who is a librarian?
A librarian is a professional who works in a library, providing users with access
to information as well as social or technical programming and information
literacy teaching. A librarian is in charge of overseeing the everyday operations
of a public or private library. They can work in schools, religious institutions, or
government-run research libraries and institutes.
What are the basic qualifications needed for the
1.A bachelor's degree is required.
2. Many students receive work experience in a library or research Centre while
pursuing their bachelor's and master's degrees.
3. Obtaining a master's degree
4. Certification or licensure
Which stream will be best/ suitable/ relevant for
Taking library science courses at the certificate, diploma, undergraduate, or
postgraduate level is required. In India, aspiring librarians choose between a
Bachelor of Library and Information Science and a Bachelor of Library Science.
If speed is of the essence, candidates can seek Certification in Library Science
or a Diploma in Library and Information Science.
Which Course will be best for librarian?
• Certificate in Library Science
• Certificate in Library and Information Science
• Diploma in Library and Information Science
• Post Graduate Diploma in Library Automation and Networking
• Bachelor in Library Science (Blab.)
• Bachelor of Library and Information Science (BLI Sc.)
• Master in Library Science
• Master in Library and Information Science
• PhD in Library and Information Science
• M.Phil. in Library and Information Science
What are the top 10 universities in India for becoming a
• University of Delhi, New Delhi
• Indira Gandhi National Open University
• Punjab University, Department of Library & Information Science,
• SRM University, SRMU, Haryana
• Savitribai Phule Pune University, SPPU, Pune
• Osmania University, OU, Hyderabad
• Lucknow university, Lucknow
• Chandigarh university, Chandigarh
• Jadavpur University, Kolkata
• Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
What are the top 10 universities in out of India/Abroad
for becoming a librarian?
• Northern Arizona University
• University of south Florida
• University of Washington
• University of Wisconsin
• The catholic university of America
• University of north Texas
• Florida state university
• National University
• Colleges of contra costa
What are the entrance Exams for librarian?
• UGC NET/SET/ SLET
• Individual colleges proctor admission examinations, such as the B.
Lib entrance examination at Aligarh Muslim University or the BLISc
entrance examination at Calcutta University.
Any Scholarship are available for librarian?
• AALL DEGREE CANDIDATE SCHOLARHSIP
• ALA DAVID H. CLIFT SCHOLARSHIP
• INDIAN LIBRARY ASSOCIATION AWARDS
Which skills are required to be a librarian?
• Delegation of Tasks
• Knowledge of library software
• Excellent Communication with words
• proficiency in a foreign language is preferred
Which type of personality is best for librarian?
People who are more cautious, adaptable, focused, inventive, open-minded,
respectful, self-reliant, serious, tender-minded, and trustworthy than the norm
group, as well as having stronger general reasoning skills are well suited to opt
their career as a librarian.
What are the best companies offering jobs as a
• Corporate Training Centres
• Research Institutions
• Media Organizations
• Consulting Firms
What are the pros & cons / Advantage & disadvantage
of working a librarian?
• Librarians can earn a good living doing what they do.
• The ability to work indoors is a huge advantage for librarians.
• A librarian's job is not particularly demanding.
• You have a lot of flexibility during the day because you can choose your
• A librarian meets with a variety of clients, allowing them to connect and
collaborate with a large number of people.
• With so many books around, you have a lot of knowledge.
• The number of job openings is dwindling.
• It's Easy to Feel Alone
• There isn't much job security.
• Librarians must adhere to the library's programme guidelines. As a
result, you are unable to express your creativity.
• It is impossible to work from home.