Many people have heard that a career in the military or armed forces is fraught
with mental, emotional, and psychological difficulties and stressors. Navy
careers are no exception to the rule that such jobs can lead to mental health
issues. We employ naval psychologists to ensure that naval officers and troops
do not suffer from mental or emotional issues that may impair their ability to
fulfil their duties.
A navy psychologist's main goal is to accurately identify and diagnose any
mental or psychological abnormalities or disorders that naval personnel may
“Sam no Varunah”
Be auspicious unto us Oh Lord Varuna(The Sea God)
- Indian Navy motto
Table of Contents
Who is a Naval psychologist?
Navy psychologists are the professionals that assist sailors calm down and
work through their emotional upheaval that comes with serving in the armed
forces. During wartime, when we need them most, sailors who are mentally
and emotionally stable are not only happier and healthier, but also more
effective and capable. Navy psychologists also assist sailors in adjusting to
civilian life once they are dismissed from service.
What are the basic qualifications needed for the Naval
• A master's degree in psychology, especially with an emphasis on I/O, is
• To acquire SV security clearance for this trade, you must meet the
citizenship and security standards.
• To serve, you must be medically fit.
• For the past two years, you must have had no criminal convictions.
• Must pass a Navy swim test while dressed in overalls and wearing gym
• 50-meter swim with a finish line of
• Stay afloat for three minutes without assistance by treading water.
• You must also pass a two-day final officer selection board, just like all
Which stream will be best/ suitable/ relevant for Naval
Pass the 10+2 exam with Psychology as one of the subjects, if possible. In your
12th grade, you can choose any stream, and the beauty of the subject is that
you can study Psychology as a fifth subject with any stream.
Which Course will be best for Naval psychologist?
M.A Clinical psychology
M.Sc Clinical Psychology
What are the top 10 universities in India to study Naval
1. Lady Shri Ram College.
2. St. Xavier's College.
3. Christ University.
4. Fergusson College.
5. K. J Somaiya College of Arts and Commerce.
6. Jai Hind College.
7. Kamla Nehru College for Women.
8. Kishinchand Chellaram College.
9. Delhi university
What are the top 10 universities in out of India/Abroad
to study Naval psychologist?
1. University of Regina.
2. London South Bank University.
3. University of Auckland.
4. American University of Beirut.
5. Murray State University.
6. Harvard University.
7. The Ohio State University
8. Cardiff University
9. University of Illinois
What are the entrance Exams for Naval psychologist?
• Manipal Entrance Test
• Pondicherry University Entrance Test
• JMI Entrance Exam
• Christ University Entrance Test
• Central Universities Common Entrance Test
• Symbiosis Entrance test
• Manav Rachna National Aptitude Test (MRNAT)
Any Scholarship are available for Naval psychologist ?
• Annette Urso Rickel Foundation Dissertation Award for Public Policy
• Psi Chi
• THE J.N. TATA ENDOWMENT FOR THE HIGHER EDUCATION OF INDIANS
• Rhodes Scholarship
Which skills Required to be a Naval psychologist?
1. Empathy is a virtue.
2. Possess problem-solving abilities .
3. Possess excellent organizational and communication skills.
4. have superior analytic reasoning abilities.
5. excellent research abilities.
6. having patience and compassion.
7.excellent communicational and observational skills.
Which type of personality is best for Naval
A charismatic outgoing personality that encompasses kindness, empathy,
supportiveness, passivity, modesty with excellent problem solving abilities,
a strong sense of personal boundaries and thrill seeking attitude. Naval
psychologists must also have a natural interest in dealing and studying the
What are the best companies offering jobs as a Naval
Armed forces such as military, navy, air force are the best recruiters for naval
What are the pros & cons / Advantage & disadvantage
of working a Naval psychologist ?
Pros of being a naval psychologist:
• One have the ability to provide much-needed assistance to others.
• You Have the Opportunity to Work in Various Locations Around the
• Working for the military as a military psychologist comes with a slew of
perks such as pension, healthcare etc.
• Military psychologists make excellent consultants, but they can also
work with civilians like spouses, children etc.
Cons of being a naval psychologist:
• It can be a mentally and emotionally exhausting job.
• Being deployed has the potential to be a burden.
• It's possible that you'll have to work on the front lines.
• Some of your customers are uninterested in going to treatment.