Medical psychology often known as Clinical Health Psychology, Psychosomatic
Medicine, Health Care Psychology, Behavioral Medicine, or Health Psychology
is based on the concept that the body and mind are one and the same thing.
Continuing along this line of reasoning, all disorders, whether mental or
physical, must be treated as if they have both been affected. Medical
psychology, then, is the application of psychological principles to the practice
of medicine in the treatment of both physical and mental illnesses.
Medical psychologists employ psychological ideas and principles to help
patients with physical illnesses improve their health and well-being. Clinical
psychologists are employed in hospitals, medical centres, and other health-
“Mental health.....is not a destination , but a process.
It’s about hoe you drive, not where you are going.”
Table of Contents
• Who is a medical psychologist ?
• What are the basic qualifications needed for the medical psychologist ?
• Which stream will be best/ suitable/ relevant for medical psychologist?
• Which Course will be best for medical psychologist?
• What are the top 10 universities in India to study medical psychology?
• What are the top 10 universities in out of India/Abroad to study medical
• What are the entrance Exams for medical psychologist ?
• Any Scholarship are available for medical psychologist ?
• Which skills Required to be an medical psychologist ?
• Which type of personality is best for medical psychologist?
• What are the best companies offering jobs as a medical psychologist ?
• What are the pros & cons / Advantage & disadvantage of working as a
medical psychologist ?
Who is a medical psychologist ?
The medical psychologist is the professional with the skill of identifying and
treating diseases presenting psychological and physiological manifestations.
They've been taught how psychological aspects of a sickness might impair a
person's physical well-being.
What are the basic qualifications needed for the
medical psychologist ?
For UG Courses, the following requirements must be met:
- Formal education of 10+2 from a recognized institution.
- A UG degree in the same or similar discipline with minimum marks is
necessary for PG courses.
- A Doctor of Philosophy is preferred by psychologists to practice as
medical psychologist (Ph.D.)
Which stream will be best/ suitable/ relevant for
Pass the 10+2 exam with Psychology as one of the subjects, if possible. In your
12th grade, you can choose any stream, and the beauty of the subject is that
you can study Psychology as a fifth subject with any stream.
Which Course will be best for medical psychologist?
M.A Clinical psychology
M.Sc Clinical Psychology
What are the top 10 universities in India to study
1. Lady Shri Ram College.
2. St. Xavier's College.
3. Christ University.
4. Fergusson College.
5. K. J Somaiya College of Arts and Commerce.
6. Jai Hind College.
7. Kamla Nehru College for Women.
8. Kishinchand Chellaram College.
9. Delhi university
What are the top 10 universities in out of India/Abroad
to study medical psychology?
1. University of Regina.
2. London South Bank University.
3. University of Auckland.
4. American University of Beirut.
5. Murray State University.
6. Harvard University.
7. The Ohio State University
8. Cardiff University
9. University of Illinois
What are the entrance Exams for medical psychologist
• Manipal Entrance Test
• Pondicherry University Entrance Test
• JMI Entrance Exam
• Christ University Entrance Test
• Central Universities Common Entrance Test
• Symbiosis Entrance test
• Manav Rachna National Aptitude Test (MRNAT)
Any Scholarship are available for medical psychologist
• Annette Urso Rickel Foundation Dissertation Award for Public Policy
• Psi Chi
• THE J.N. TATA ENDOWMENT FOR THE HIGHER EDUCATION OF INDIANS
• Rhodes Scholarship
Which skills Required to be an medical psychologist ?
1. Empathy is a virtue.
2. Possess problem-solving abilities
3. Possess excellent organizational and communication skills
4. have superior analytic reasoning abilities
5. excellent research abilities.
Which type of personality is best for medical
A charismatic outgoing personality, excellent ptoblem solving abilities, a strong
sense of personal boundaries, and a keen interest in all types of pathologies
are also advantageous. Medical psychologists must also have a natural interest
in dealing and studying the psychological problems.
What are the best companies offering jobs as a medical
• Addiction Treatment Center.
• Military Health Facility.
• Elementary & Secondary School.
• Testing Services Provider.
• Private Practice.
• College or University.
• Community Advocacy Group.
What are the pros & cons / Advantage & disadvantage
of working as a medical psychologist ?
1. The satisfaction of assisting others in overcoming their difficulties.
2. Work schedules that are flexible.
3. Lucrative potential.
4. The ability to operate independently.
5. Every day, you will have the opportunity to work with fresh people.
6. It offers a variety of job opportunities.
1. Dealing with clients can be exhausting and frustrating.
2. Your timetable is not only flexible, but it may also be extremely erratic.
3. Creating your own practise is difficult.
4. Taking care of billing issues
5. Continually generating new business.