Automotive engineering is a subset of vehicle engineering that deals with the application, design, and production of many types of autos. This branch of engineering entails the use of mathematics and physics principles in the design and manufacture of automobiles. Safety engineering, automotive electronics, quality control, fuel economy, and emissions are all essential engineering areas in this subject.
“It’s a never-ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself.”
– Dale Earnhardt
Table of Contents
Who is an Automotive Engineer?
Automotive engineers, sometimes known as automobile engineers, collaborate with other professions to improve a vehicle's mechanical performance, aesthetics, and software components. Designing and testing various components of automobiles, such as fuel technologies and safety systems, are common responsibilities of an automotive engineer. Some automotive experts also do repairs and inspections on automobiles after they have been sold. They can work on both the interior and exterior of automobiles.
What are the basic qualifications needed for becoming an Automotive Engineer?
Automobile Engineering is a four-year bachelor's degree programme. Students interested in this programme should have a science background (PCM) and have completed their 10+2 or any similar exam from CBSE or a recognised board, with Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics as main subjects. A student must have received a minimum of 50% on their board exams to be considered for admission. Students having a diploma in mechanical or similar fields can enrol in the second year of B.Tech. immediately. Engineering for Automobiles
Which Stream will be best/suitable/relevant for Automotive Engineer?
Science stream(PCM) is best to pursue a career in Automotive Engineering.
Which Course will be best for Automotive Engineer?
· B.Tech in Automobile Engineering
· B.Tech in Automobile Engineering (Lateral Entry- 3 Years)
· B.E. Automobile Engineering
· M.Tech in Automobile Engineering
· M.Tech in Manufacturing Technology
· M.Tech in Automotive Engineering & e-Manufacturing
What are the top 10 universities in India to study Automotive Engineering?
· IIT Madras - Indian Institute of Technology
· COEP Pune - College of Engineering
· VIT Vellore - Vellore Institute of Technology
· SRM University Chennai - SRM Institute of Science and Technology
· PSG Tech Coimbatore - PSG College of Technology
· Amrita School of Engineering, Coimbatore
· JSS Science and Technology University, Mysuru
· BITS Pilani - Birla Institute of Technology and Science
· The Oxford College of Engineering, Bangalore
· Manipal University (MAHE) - Manipal Academy of Higher Education
What are the top 10 universities abroad to study Automotive Engineering?
· RMIT University, Melbourne
· Centennial College – Toronto
· University of South Wales – Pontypridd
· University of Tennessee – Knoxville
· Shanghai Jiao Tong University – Shanghai
· University of Texas – Austin
· Brigham Young University – Utah
· Tsinghua University – Beijing
· Austin Peay State University – Tennessee
· Ferris State University – Michigan
What are the entrance Exams for Automotive Engineer?
· JEE Main
· COMEDK UGET
· MHT CET
· AP EAMCET
Any Scholarship are available for Automotive Engineering?
· Netherlands Government Fully Funded Scholarships 2023
· Fulbright Foreign Student Scholarship Program USA
· Kazakhstan Government Scholarships - ENIC Kazakhstan
· Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program
· Türkiye Scholarships for International Students
· Orange Knowledge Programme Netherlands
· Global Korea Scholarship - Funded by Korean Government
· Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarships 2022/2023
· British Chevening Scholarships 2022
· Japan Africa Dream Scholarship (JADS) Program AfDB 2021-22
What are the professions available in Automotive Engineering?
· Executive and Managerial Positions
· Driver Instrumentation Engineer
· Senior Production Engineer
· Automobile Designer
· Automotive Sales Engineer
· Dealer Account Manager
· Quality Engineer
· Service Engineer
· Marketing Expert
· Mechanical Design Engineer
· Automotive Developer
· Regional Transport Officer
· Service Advisor and Works Manager in Dealerships
· Automotive Technician
· Service Station owner
Which skills are Required to be in Automotive Engineering?
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
· Knowledge of machine design, manufacturing processes and mechanical systems
· Understanding of electrical and electromechanical systems
· Knowledge of digital circuits and interfacing with mechanical/electromechanical system
· The ability to analyse and interpret data
· Good communication and presentation skills
· The ability to prioritize and plan effectively
Which type of personality is best for Automotive Engineering?
· Critical Thinking
· Effective Communication
· A Collaborative Spirit
What are the best companies offering jobs as an Automotive Engineer?
· TATA Motors
· Mahindra and Mahindra
· Eicher Motors
· Bajaj Auto Limited
· Maruti Udyog Limited
· Hero Motors
· Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India Pvt. Ltd. (HMSI)
What are the pros & cons / Advantage & disadvantage of working as an Automotive Engineer?
· Suitable for people who like practical and hands-on work.
· Suitable for people who value achievements and are results oriented.
· This career is perfect for people who love to work indoors.
· Very high salary (top 25% highest paid careers).
· Not suitable for people who like to help and teach others.
· It is hard to get into this career. A considerable amount of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for this career.
· Long working hours (More than 40 hours per week).