Between 2022 and 2032, employment of sports trainers is expected to expand by nearly 16 percent, substantially faster than the average for all occupations. This is due to an increasing global awareness of sports-related injuries and the consequences of those injuries. In several countries, high schools are now required to hire athletic trainers.
“To keep the body in good health is a duty…otherwise we shall not be able to keep the mind strong and clear.”
Table of Contents
Who is an Athletic Trainer?
Athletic trainers are health care professionals that diagnose and treat people who have suffered muscle and bone injuries. They also teach others how to avoid getting hurt. Most of their patients are athletes, although others may seek treatment as well. A physician oversees the work of an athletic trainer.
What are the basic qualifications needed for becoming an Athletic Trainer?
Athletic trainers have formal training in the following areas:
· Acute care of injury and illness
· Clinical examination and diagnosis
· Evidence-based practice
· Health care administration
· Prevention and health promotion
· Professional development and responsibility
· Psychosocial strategies and referral
· Therapeutic interventions
There are a lot of institutions in our country that provide degree as well as diploma courses in athletic training. The basic qualification required to join this course is a graduate degree from any stream. Obtaining a postgraduate degree will enable the candidates to get jobs as professional athletic trainers. A Master’s program course will have topics like anatomy, biomechanics, and physiology in addition to nutrition in its curriculum.
Which Stream will be best/suitable/relevant for Athletic Trainers?
Some of the course subjects needed to become an athletic trainer include:
· Evidence-based practice
· Research methods
Which Course will be best for Athletic Trainers?
· Bachelor of Physical Education BPEd (4 years)
· Master of Physical Education MPE (2 years)
· Master of Philosophy (Physical Education) MPhil (1 Year)
· Post Graduate Diploma in Health & Fitness Management PGDHFM (1 Year)
What are the top universities in India for Athletic Trainers?
· Amity School of Physical Studies and Sports Sciences (Noida)
· Amravati Shikshan Prasarak Mandal's College of Physical Education (Maharashtra)
· Indira Gandhi Institute of Physical Education & Sports Sciences (New Delhi)
· Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports (Patiala)
· BPCAS College of Physical Education (Mumbai)
What are the top universities abroad for Athletic Trainers?
· Australian Catholic University
· Manchester Metropolitan University
· University of Iowa
· The University of Texas at Austin
· University of Georgia
· University of Maryland – College Park
· Liberty University
· Michigan State University
· University of Auckland
· Illinois State University
What are the entrance Exams for Athletic Trainers?
Athletic Trainer Certificate Exam
Any Scholarship are available for aspiring Athletic Trainers?
· PFATS FOUNDATION/NATA RESEARCH AND EDUCATION FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP SERIES
· NATIONAL STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING ASSOCIATION (NSCA) FOUNDATION - CHALLENGE SCHOLARSHIP
· THE NATIONAL ATHLETIC TRAINER'S ASSOCIATION RESEARCH AND EDUCATION FOUNDATION
· EASTERN ATHLETIC TRAINERS’ ASSOCIATION SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
· NCAA POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
What are the professions available for Athletic Trainers?
· Hospital emergency departments
· Intercollegiate athletics
· Law enforcement and military
· Occupational and industrial settings
· Performing arts
· Physician offices
· Professional sports
· Secondary schools
· Sports medicine clinics
Which skills are Required to be an Athletic Trainer?
· Listening and verbal communication skills: You must be able to understand what patients and co-workers tell you and to clearly convey information to them.
· Interpersonal skills: You must be able to read patients' non-verbal cues.
· Compassion: You'll be dealing with patients who are in pain.
· Decision-making ability: The ability to make potentially life-altering decisions on the spot is vital.
· Critical thinking skills: Sound decision-making and problem-solving require the ability to weigh the value of possible solutions before choosing the best available option.
· Attention to detail: You must be extremely accurate when you're recording information.
· Nerves of steel: You should be able to maintain emotional control in stressful situations and to effectively manage emergencies.
Which type of personality is best for becoming an Athletic Trainer?
Personality Traits of Athletic Trainer-
· Social Responsibility
What are the pros & cons / Advantage & disadvantage of working as an Athletic Trainer?
· If you are a sports lover, you get to be around athletics every day.
· You get a lot of money.
· You get to meet new people/athletes.
· You must attend school longer.
· You may have to work with uncooperative people.
· You must know how to deal with stressful situations.