We've all read about different human civilisations like the Harappan, Greek, and Chinese civilizations. However, they all existed at some point in human history. So how come we, the current generation, are so knowledgeable about it? It is because to the numerous archaeologists who worked tirelessly to discover and dig information about ancient civilisations. Not only that, but anthropologists have also sought to recover and analyse material culture to find and analyse various human behaviours. They look at everything from the earliest stone tool to the development of wheels. In order to inform our understanding of historical economic, social, political, and intellectual activity, archaeologists must locate and analyse objects and structures.
“Archaeology holds all the keys to understanding who we are and where we come from.”
~ Sarah Parcak
Table of Contents
Who is an Archaeologist?
Archaeology is an important profession because it helps us learn about our past, offers us a fundamental grasp of why human civilization has changed over time, and allows us to explain human behaviour in the past, which helps us understand the present and why mankind is the way it is. When it comes to pursuing a job as an archaeologist, one can make more informed decisions about humanity's current evolution. Archaeology is the study of how humans interacted with their environment in the past. Anthropologists, sometimes known as excavators, acquire archaeological data through studying historic artefacts, locations, and monuments, as well as the modern/advanced uses of heritage.
What are the basic qualifications needed for becoming an Archaeologist?
· The applicant must have completed their Class XII with at least 50% of marks.
· The applicant must have finished them under graduation on the subjects like Archaeology, Ancient History, History, and more.
· For getting a master’s degree, the applicant must have finished their graduation with at least 50% marks.
Which Stream will be best/suitable/relevant for Archaeologist?
To make a career as archaeologist, one can take up any stream in 10+2, with a respectable percentage. Students from any stream can choose to pursue archaeologist as a career. However, it is better if the student has humanities and social sciences in 10+2, as it will help to provide a strong base.
Which Course will be best for Archaeologist?
BA in Ancient Indian Culture : 3-Years
BA in Ancient Indian History and Archelogy : 3-Years
BA in Archaeology and Museology : 3-Years
MA in Archaeology : 2-Years
MA in Museology : 2-Years
Postgraduate Diploma in Archelogy : 1-Year
What are the top 10 universities in India to study Archaeology?
· Banaras Hindu University
· Vishva Bharati University
· University of Madras
· University of Calcutta
· University of Mysore
· Andhra University
· Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University
· RMLAU Faizabad
· DDU Gorakhpur
What are the top 10 universities abroad to study Archaeology?
· University of Cambridge, the UK
· University of Oxford, the UK
· University College London, the UK
· Durham University, the UK
· Harvard University, the US
· University of California, Berkeley, the US
· Stanford University, the US
· Leiden University, the Netherlands
· University of California, Los Angeles, the US
· Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
What are the entrance Exams for Archaeologist?
Calcutta University Entrance Exam.
AUCET – Andhra University Common Entrance Test.
BHU PET– Banaras Hindu University Post Graduate Entrance Test.
IPU CET- Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test.
Any Scholarship are available for Archaeology?
· Emory University Scholar Programs 2022
· Westminster Undergraduate Full Scholarships 2022
· AUT International Excellence Scholarships 2022
· Knight-Hennessy Scholars at Stanford University 2022
· EWC Graduate Degree Scholarships for Asia and The Pacific 2022
What are the professions available in Archaeology?
· Historic buildings inspector/conservation officer
· Museum/gallery curator
· Heritage manager
· Documentation Specialist
· Museum education officer
Which skills are Required to be in Archaeology?
· Creativity: A career as an archaeologist necessitates the ability to be creative and demonstrate it in one's work. To excel in this sector, one must have a strong imagination. The ability to see a project, the willingness to consider fresh ideas or perspectives, the desire to picture the possibilities of a location, the ability to anticipate different scenarios, and, most crucially, the ability to think three-dimensionally.
· Managerial skills: While working on any project, archaeologists are responsible for controlling, planning, and managing the overall strategy. As a result, one must be skilled at planning and controlling the entire process from beginning to conclusion. For the plan to be implemented successfully, an excavator must be able to distribute and manage resources.
· An eye for detail: Working as an archaeologist necessitates being exact and detail-oriented in your work. This ability allows you to notice minor but significant things that others may overlook. When looking for ancients, having a keen eye for detail is advantageous. Paying attention to details is a talent that must be learned, much like other abilities for a career as an excavator operator.
· Analytical skills: Strong analytical abilities are useless if archaeologists are unable to discuss their findings with others. In order to work as an archaeologist, you must be a good communicator who can describe the patterns you see in the world around you. An excavator may be asked to speak at a meeting or give a presentation to convey information. An archaeologist may also be asked to produce a report at times. As a result, in the discipline of archaeology, a lack of communication skills is unavoidable.
Which type of personality is best for Archaeology?
The top personality traits of archaeologists are openness and social responsibility. Archaeologists score highly on openness, which means they are usually curious, imaginative, and value variety.
What are the best employers offering jobs as an Archaeologist?
· Cultural galleries.
· National Museum
· Archaeological Survey of India
· Indian Council of Historical Research
· National Heritage Agencies
· Colleges and Universities
What are the pros & cons / Advantage & disadvantage of working as an Archaeologist?
· You’ll have the chance to travel.
· Decent employment growth expected through 2022 (19%, combined with anthropologists).
· Positions available in a variety of sectors.
• It’s Not Always a Glamorous Job.
• Work can be physically strenuous.
• May need to relocate to work site for long periods of time.
• Higher postsecondary degrees are generally required for advancement.